Thursday, November 6, 2008

Naughty

Over the past week or two Ladd has turned from an angel child into the opposite.  As a mother I really strive to not say "no" to everything.  That way I figured when I really needed to use "NO" he would no I mean it.  So in my efforts I have tried not to notice when he empties every non-safety-proofed cupboard in the kitchen countless times in an hour.  I just smile and laugh as he splashes pools of water onto the bathroom floor during bathtime.  I patiently allow him to feed himself even the messiest of meals even though it is going to take 20 minutes to clean him up.  I usually let him walk everywhere we go because he loves to be free from the stroller and from being carried and I try to chase after him even though it takes forever to get to where we are going. I let him play with almost any button to his hearts content even if it is the most annoying thing trying to watch tv while he turns it on and off.  

Up until these last couple weeks I was feeling pretty good about my newly-learned patience, but something just turned Ladd's naughty button on and I can't figure out how to turn it off.  I've resorted to saying "NO, no" and "That's naughty!" about 100 times a day and he just smiles at me and does the same thing over and over again. 

He climbs on top of the kitchen table all day long to stand and dance on it.  He climbs on the toilet and then on the water tank in order to get up on the bathroom counters.  Last week he managed to find my prenatal vitamins (which he can only reach if he's on the bathroom counter) and stuff them into his mouth and then spit them out all over the bathroom floor. While dusting in the loft I put some glass candle things on the ground for about 5 seconds and within those 5 seconds Ladd devised a plan to pick them up and run full force through by bedroom, into the bathroom and toss them in the toilet.  He empties all his clothes drawers several times a day, no toilet paper roll is safe.  Changing diapers has turned into a wrestling match where I practically have to sit on him to make him stay still (and yes I've tried everything- food, toys and distractions use to work, but not anymore).  Oh yes, and he has started throwing tantrums and hitting.  

On the opposite side of the spectrum he has been especially sweet when it comes to giving hugs and kisses.  He comes running with open-arms to give me hugs at least 20 times each day and these are no ordinary hugs, he holds on to my neck as hard as he can and doesn't let go for a minute or two and nuzzles his face next to mine while saying "mommy, mommy, mommy...."

Thank heaven for these moments or I wouldn't be nearly as excited for Ladd to have a LITTLE BROTHER!  We just found out this morning and I honestly was hoping for another little boy because Ladd has brought us so much joy.  Besides hopefully they can run around like little hooligans all day and tire each other out.  I'm just hoping this naughty faze doesn't last too long, I'm kinda tuckered-out.


13 comments:

Heather said...

congrats on another boy! wahoo!

Angie said...

Hooray for boys! You will love having the two little boys....so much fun and sooo exhausting!!

As for the naughtiness, unfortunately you are in for it the next couple of years, it gets worse before it gets better. Blake is now just getting out of his tantrum/naughty phase and his is almost four!!

Congrats again!!

Dave and Shelly said...

Yeah!!! It's a boy! We are so excited for you guys! As for being naughty, good luck!!! Just think if what the daniels say is true, Ladd will just be getting out of the phase when the new boy enters into it. Okay that's not nice to bring up, but Rian and Paige are having a naughty week so it's good to hear of other kids being naughty because i'm finding it amost impossible to go anywhere without my patience being tested to the MAX!!! Congrats!!!

Kim and Zak said...

Congrats on having another boy! That's so exciting! :) I wish you all nothing but the best. I am sorry to hear that Ladd is being naughty....I guess he's just at "that" age, right? Hey, at least you'll have some VERY interesting stories to tell about him! :) By the way, it looks like you all had a blast at the Halloween party. Nice costumes, too! :) Keep in touch! :)

Cameron and Wendy said...

Congrats! I have been checking this to find out! Now Miley's pool of boys is growing. :) Just kidding. The Halloween pictures are really cute!

Redd family said...

Congrats on Ladd Jr.!! I can't believe you are going to be a mom of 2 boys, who'd have thought? I'm sure he will be just as DARLING as Ladd, who couldn't love that mug!

Erica said...

YAY for more boys! That's so exciting!

Niki McDowell said...

Oh my goodness congrats. Funny, I was reading the post and thinking to myself "shouldn't she know what she is having by now, why has she not posted it" and then you did! You'll love have the two boys together. I love it and am so glad it turned out that way. It is so nice to have them play together. Will make it easier when the 3rd comes along in the future (I should say if you guys are going to have 3, sorry for the presumption). Anyways, I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

This post makes me laugh because I told Karen many times how thankful I was that Doug was my nephew because he was so cute and I love him and love having him in my family but I was so glad I wasn't his mom - I just didn't think I had what it took to raise one that mischeivous!! I shoulda warned ya!!xoxox Great Aunt Sue

Cameron and Shannon said...

Wahoo! Two boys! They are the greatest. I love having two boys, they play so cute together now. Congrats. I can't believe it's another boy, I thought for sure it would be a girl.
Oh and I don't believe a word of what you say about Ladd being naughty...he is way too cute to do any of those things, except I can see him giving all those kisses and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Jack has been doing those things for a couple of months now. It's amazing how little they are, yet they know exactly what to do to make you mad! Congrats on the little boy! When is you due date? I think you and I are due around the same time and are both having boys. Pretty crazy!

The Mortensen Family said...

Congrats! Boys are so fun. Aren't tantrums the best! Marissa by far throws the worst and they started around a year. Oh I'm so scared for her to be 3!! I'm in for it.

Anonymous said...

I just had baby boy number two, they are 15 months apart...number one is crazy like that.
With the diaper changing, if I give Heinz a toy he'll normally hold still long enough for a diaper change...with everything else...have fun!!