Here's van 1 at the starting line. At this point I was the only one that knew what we were getting ourselves into...everyone was excited:).
7 minutes to til our team started, this is the best we'd look for the next two days. This could also be the stopwatch that Dave and Maile Wilson were using to time how long Ladd had been up. We owe the Wilson's big time...Neither of them got any sleep on Thursday night (seriously). We still feel bad about it and now love the Wilson's even more!
Here's Darci on her first leg. A cop almost pulled her over for going faster than the speed limit. The first leg of our race was in rural Wisconsin, we saw a lot of corn. Darci started off with no regard for pacing herself and ran this 5.6 mile leg faster than she wanted and even threw in a sprint at the end to cross before the guy in front of her.
No, I didn't carry a glow stick with me throughout the race, I was coming into the exchange and handing off our slap bracelet...not sure which is worse, running with a glow stick or slap bracelet. Either way, I barely made the 6.6 miles and was happy to get the first leg behind me.
We obviously didn't win the "best costume" award. Had I known that running in undies and spandex was welcome I would have ran so much faster.
Here we are getting ready to start our second leg. Between leg one and two we rested in Stockholm WI, population 99. We took a great swim in the Mississippi river to rinse off and tried to get some shut eye (didn't work). We started leg two around 8pm and ran until 2am.
Darci straightened her hat for this picture after seeing herself in the previous pic;) This is about the time it starts to feel weird that you're actually going to being running in the middle of the night.
This is where we slept from 3 to 5am thanks to the ear plugs Darci brought. Had David not been watching the clock there's no way we would have been up and ready when van 2 got to the bridge.
Here we are after our last leg...4 of the 6 in our van can all be quoted as saying, "this was so fun and I'm so glad we did this....but I'm never doing it again". It only took a day or two for most of them to start talking about the "next time" we do it:). We were all trashed but had a great time.
The race ended near downtown Minneapolis. Darci was ready for her bed.
No blisters for me...just Camie and Darci. The good news, my toenail fell off a few days ago.
Here's the whole team at the finish line. We ran the entire 193 miles at an avg pace of 9:04 min/mile...that's just over 29 hours.
I know Darci loves me because she let me stand this close to her while smelling like I had just run 20+ miles and hadn't showered in days.












2 comments:
You're hilarious! If your day job doesn't work out, you could do a late night gig. You must have written this before you got any sleep after the race. I'd say it sounded like fun but it didn't. It sounded awful!! Needless to say, I'm not a runner. Give the Wilson's a hug for me. I know what it's like to spend the night with "Sleepless." Wish he was here not sleeping with me tonight. I miss you all terribly.
xoxmom
Hey Douglas James it's Hilary!!! I ran into your blog from Niki and Scott's blog. You have a beautiful family. I was looking at your Ragnar pics and noticed that the Baldwins where in your group. When we lived in Boston we were in the same ward and got to know them, they are wonderful. At the time they just had the oldest two girls and now they have four kids!! Wow! Any way, just thought it was neat that you all are now friends. Great job running that race, you are both incredible!! Drop me a line sometime deandafamily at hotmail dot com.
Post a Comment