Thursday, March 13, 2008

Advice


One sad Ladd

As I write this post there is a very sad Ladd crying upstairs in his crib. I am once again trying to train him to fall asleep on his own. I really wish we had done this before he could stand up in his crib and learned to cry "ma,ma,ma."

Our first attmept at this was when he was about 4 weeks and Doug thought we should have had him trained, but I just couldn't bare the sad wailing - so that lasted like 30 seconds. At about 4 months Doug convinced me to try letting him cry himself to sleep. After various disagreements about how long we should let him cry and Doug physically restraining me (don't worry it was all done with a smile), Ladd finally cried himself to sleep - like twice. Then I went out of town and Ladd got worse. We came back and started trying again, but to no avail. For the last 3 months Ladd has been sleeping in a different beds and homes and crying himself to sleep has not been an option. Now that we are in our own home and Doug set his crib up we have been trying everything to get him to fall asleep on his own. The routine my doctor suggested - letting him cry for a couple of minutes and then going in and calming him (and laying him back down) is not working. or maybe we aren't consistent enough - he's already been crying for over two hours and I've made at least 25 trips upstairs to his bedroom. So this post is to ask everyone and anyone that has had success in helping their baby fall to sleep on their own for your secrets. If your suggestion is lengthy feel free to email me at darcitimothy@gmail.com. In addition if anyone has a trick at keeping my crib from being bitten to death please let me know.

15 comments:

Lynley said...

I sent you an email! I definitely feel your pain! You can make him sleep though! Good luck!

Cathy Duffy said...

we are going through the same thing! Aiya still wakes up 1-2x at night. I am so tired!! i'm re-reading the book healthy sleep habits, happy child. we followed the book with the older two kids and it worked. i'll let you know how it works and send the book over to you if you still need it.

Anonymous said...

Jack slept through the night for 3 months and then stopped!! Jack only slept for 3 hours last night. The "cry it out" just doesn't work for him. If you get any good advice, PLEASE let me know!!

Angie said...

Oh, I feel your pain. We went the same thing with Blake when he was little. It is soooo hard to listen to them cry! I'll email you with some suggestions that worked for us!

Bullard Family said...

I am convinced every child is different. Just go with your "mom feelings." Mykah never slept well no matter how consistent we were. She would cry for hours and then make herself throw up. Nate on the other hand is a angel when it comes to sleep and I have never been consistent with him. Don't beat yourself up. He will learn, give him time, and don't feel like you are doing something wrong! His little sad face breaks my heart. He is so adorable. Good Luck. Hope you get some sleep tonight.
Andrea

Niki McDowell said...

I couldn't tell you. Brock slept through the night like an angel. And I had no troubles when I would lay him down for nap. But, Dax was a different story. He would cry and cry and I would go hours and he would not stop. He was so darn stubborn, and i would try to be too. To tell you the truth I can't remember who ended up giving in.

Cameron and Shannon said...

I'm with Andrea, every child is different. You just have to do what works for the both of you. If that means letting him cry then do it and don't feel bad about it. If it means getting up with him every time he whimpers then do that. Brigham we had to let cry, he once cried for three hours before falling asleep, but he never woke up again. Max I babied more, I let him cry for a few minutes then I would rock him. He got the hang of it around 5 months. Good luck! This is a hard time. I don't do well without sleep.

~Lauren said...

Hi Darci..My name is Lauren(Selander)Elmy..I went to High School with Doug..you guy's have such an ADORABLE baby! It's fun to see what a great family he has :) I'm going to interject my advice on this post..I had the exact same problem with my kids each time..I couldn't leave them crying it made me feel so guilty..like they didn't understand why I left them..and it was way.... to hard for me to do it..and so I rocked them to sleep every night and laid them down in their crib afterwards..even if they woke up crying I would just repeat this that way I didn't feel like I deserted my sad baby..and after a while they just stayed asleep all night and the older they get the better they understand going to bed at night and they will go willingly:) I hope that may help you guys out.

Panda said...

i couldn't handle the crying either...breaks my heart! i'm the same was as the previous poster...noa will now go, calmly, to sleep after we read her a few books and cuddle for a bit. i like that i can explain to her what's going on and she doesn't feel abandoned/scared or whatever emotions they go through. ...and jack still sleeps with me! :-)

Anonymous said...

You and Dug should take ambien, shut both of your doors, and buy a big fan and put it in the hall, or just get a couple of beds and push them together and have a big family bed for everyone, then Sarah and I will come visit. To get him to stop biting the crib try getting his teeth pulled. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

We miss you guys,
Matt

Redd family said...

okay so Matt's comment just goes to show how great we are on this one....Jack is waking up more than Ella right now....I recommend Diet Coke with lime

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog...

I highly recommend "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". It has worked so well with our son. However, you must be committed and consistent with the method you choose to use! I love this book because it provides examples and situations and methods for different children and different parenting styles.

Good Luck! Remember even if he does cry (which he will) you are teaching him a skill that will benefit him his whole life! It takes a few days but I PROMISE it works...just stick with it!

The Mortensen Family said...

I'm sorry I feel your pain. Parker still cries himself to sleep, but it gets shorter the older he gets. It's down to about 5 minutes now. I used to nurse him to sleep and then when I stopped nursing he would cry forever before he fell asleep, but it was Tyler that couldn't stand the crying. Good luck and just know that he will get over it. Marissa goes to bed so easily, it's amazing how different kids can be. However she still wakes up in the night.

Anonymous said...

I can tell this kid needs to visit Aunt Sue! I rocked every one of my kids to sleep every night - except Nate who squirmed and wiggled til I laid him down then he spread out on the cool sheets and sighed and went to sleep.

I couldn't have raised a kid without a comfy rocker.

But, whatever you decide to do, it will end! Just don't count on a good night's sleep from here on out. Before you know it - he'll be sneaking out at night and that REALLY keeps you awake!

LOVE YOU GUYS...

Marge said...

Darci, I don't know if you are still working on this or not, hoepfully not for your sake. I'm going to send you an e-mail (mlcwheeler) - I went to high school with Doug and I'm just going through all the links on the reunion blog. YOU CAN DO IT!